We are excited to give you a preview into our newest Robotics Academy curriculum series: The Introduction to Programming LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3. The focus for this curriculum is on the LEGO MINDSTORM EV3 robot and the EV3 software. It consists of 50+ videos, PDFs, quizzes, a teacher’s guide, and our famous easy to use step-by-step videos. Check out some of the videos of from our curriculum series …
What is the Introduction to Programming EV3 Curriculum?
The Introduction to Programming EV3 Curriculum is a curriculum module designed to teach core computer programming logic and reasoning skills using a robotics engineering context. It contains a sequence of 10 projects (plus one capstone challenge) organized around key robotics and programming concepts.
Each project comprises a self-contained instructional unit in the sequence, and provides students with:
- An introduction to a real-world robot and the context in which it operates
- A challenge that the robot faces
- A LEGO-scale version of the problem for students to solve with their robots
- Step-by-step guided video instruction that introduces key lesson concepts (e.g. Loops) by building simple programs that progress toward the challenge task
- Built-in questions that give students instant feedback on whether they understood each step correctly, to aid in reflection and self-pacing
- Semi-guided “Try It!” exploration activities that expose additional uses for and variants on each behavior
- Semi-open-ended Mini-Challenges which ask students to use the skill they have just learned to solve a relevant small portion of the final challenge
- The Unit Challenge based on the original robot’s problem, for students to solve in teams as an exercise and demonstration of their mastery of the concept
- Additional Reflection Questions found in the back of this Teacher’s Guide allow you to assess the depth of students’ understandings while challenging them to apply their learning to a higher-order problem-solving and writing task.
For more info and to see the online version of the curriculum, visit http://www.education.rec.ri.cmu.edu/content/lego/ev3/curriculum/